There's something about the month of February that sneaks up on me. It's like I forget how much February sucks - not just in the slang meaning of being a drag, but how it sucks the warmth out of my fingers and toes, how it sucks the sun out of the sky, how it sucks the life out of my days.
I've heard of seasonal affective disorder, and although I'm fully aware of how hard it is to be happy when it's cold and grey, I don't think that's it. February is a transition month, moving from celebratory December and renewed-purpose January towards March break and April melting. Even the additions of Valentine's Day and the more recent Family Day make it even worse; Valentine's Day can produce such silly anxiety and Family Day isn't really accessible to most people. There's just so much about this month that is about anticipation, waiting and not really anything that changes or improves. It's a slog, a slow march towards spring and hopefulness.
I don't mean to be such a downer - I'm sure there are many good things about this month, but every year I get to February and remember how much it sucks.
The good news is, in two week's time I'll be on vacation.
No comments:
Post a Comment